Sunday 18 January 2009

The Year of The Customer...

I have asked myself many times, who is right and who is wrong:

The unfriendly Bartender or the rude guest?

Since I am a logical person, I have created a theory:

“Good drinks + Good Service = Happy Customer = Paid Wages = Happy Bartender“.

That shows, quite clearly that they are both wrong. It is in the best interest of the bartender to make the guests stay as long as possible, to therefore make as much profit as possible.

Not long ago I saw a sign:


I thought it was great and even though I’m a stickler for good service, I can’t help but agree with it. I think that as long as the Bartender is professional enough to follow my above-stated theory and treats the guests with the respect and tolerance that they, as the sponsors of his lifestyle, deserve.

It is clear to me that a guest who enters a bar and gets ignored for half an hour, will not be over the moon. However, if he comes in and the bartender makes eye contact and gives him a quick;

“Hello, how are you today?”

He will then sit-down feeling welcome and wait patiently for you until you are ready.  My point being that making the effort to greet the guest immediately will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

If all Bartenders and Service staff would work on the happiness of their guests, then not even the Financial Crisis would have the power to make people stay away from good bars.

It is for that reason I can’t understand why there are so many ignorant people working in hospitality these days. Are they not smart enough to realise that their Guests are paying for their lifestyles!

This Blog will be all about the things we all do every day. The Good and Bad Sides of Hospitality and Mixology. The drinks and the food we serve and the psychological aspects of what we are doing.

I hope I can amuse and interest a few people with the stories I write.

You are more than welcome to leave lots of comments and feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment